When performing on-page SEO, take into account the importance of certain META Tags. Knowing how to prioritize these tags is extremely important. Nothing in the META tags will appear on your page to visitors.
The most important META Tag
Title META Tag
The <title> META tag is by far the most important tag to use. Search engines make this the most prominant tag to their users on the search engine results page. It is used in the form of a heading with a description below.
Considerations of the title META tag include the following:
- Place your top key phrase first in the title tag (prominence)
- Include your keyword several times (density)
- Use hyphens to separate your key phrases
- Don’t trip a filter by having too high of a keyword density
Other META tags
Description META Tag
I do think that the search engines pay attention to the keywords used in this tag.
- This is displayed in some cases and not displayed in others
- Put your keywords early and use them often throughout the description (prominence)
- Use sentences and good copy
Keyword META Tag
- Limit to one line of keywords
- Separate keywords by commas
- Include keywords only one time each
<http-equiv=content type> META Tag
- Important in telling the search engines
- Not having this equivalency tag will result in delays of your site being crawled
Robots META Tag
Best practice is to use a robots.txt page to control search engine spider access. Commanding a Robots META tag to <index,follow> will not help you in ranking for SEO.
- Noindex means a spider will not index the page
- Nofollow means that a spider will not follow any of the links on the page
- When trading links with other sites, watch out for any use of the above tags. They will make your link valueless.
- No harm in using a robots.txt if used correctly, but no SEO benefit either.
Refresh META Tag
- Can be used to redirect visitors to another page
- 302 temporary or 301 permanent
- Be careful of showing different content to users than search engines, otherwise known as cloaking.